What are Custom Orthotics?
Custom orthotics are medical appliances that are custom made to correct your specific foot imbalance. They exert gentle consistent pressure to bring muscles and bones back into proper alignment.
They fit neatly and comfortably into your shoes and are made from flexible moulded thermoplastic.
Custom orthotics correct biomechanical abnormalities of the feet and are used in the treatment of
- Fallen Arches / Flat Feet
- Plantar Fascitis
- Heel Spurs
- Hammer Toes
- Shin Splints
- Foot / leg / back / knee / ankle / hip pain.
Our experienced physiotherapists and chiropractors use a Gait Scanner in order to assess for faulty foot function, which can be alleviated by prescription custom orthotics. Your foot is in contact with the ground for about 0.8 of a second when walking and about 0.25 seconds when running. It is impossible to determine normal or abnormal foot function with the naked eye in a quarter of a second!
During a Gait Scan, you will be asked to stand and walk across a scanner. The Gait Scan system records your timing sequences during gait as you walk or run across a pressure plate containing 4000 sensors. This enables us to have a clear picture of your foot mechanics and determine whether you would benefit from wearing custom orthotics.
Do you need Custom Orthotics?
It is likely that you need custom orthotics if:
- You have sore feet on a regular basis e.g. plantar fasciitis (heel pain), heel spurs.
- You have pain in your knees, achilles tendon or shin splints.
- You spend a good portion of your day standing or walking.
- You play sport regularly, especially running sports.
- Standing, walking or running gives you joint pain.
- You have visible foot problems (bunions, fallen arches, corns).
- One of your legs is shorter than the other.
- You have knock-knees or bow legs.
- Your shoes wear out quickly or unevenly.
- Your feet “toe out” when you walk.
– We know that custom orthotics are not cheap, so we will never prescribe them unless absolutely necessary.
How much does it cost?
Please have a look at Our Fees.
Contact us to book your first visit or for more info about custom orthotics and our services. We’ll be happy to help.